Thursday, July 09, 2009

Can Opare ever play in the Bernabeu first team?

There’s real excitement at the Bernabeu, the home of Real Madrid with Florentino Perez unveiling his ambitious project of huge signings.

First, was the capture of Kaka, followed by the signing of Spaniard Raul Albiol. Then, the biggest coup of the summer, a world record fee for Cristiano Ronaldo before the swoop for Karim Benzema.

The Real Galactico era is certainly back at the Bernabeu and once again with Florentino Perez at the helm of what he describe as a ‘spectacular project’.

Despite all this huge investment’s for now, which exudes fear and jealousy by critics, the lingering question about the future of the many Madridistas holed up in the club’s reserve team, Real Madrid Castilla where Ghana’s Daniel Opare is based pops up.

Madrid has over the years failed to develop youngsters who can march the qualities of their Galacticos. A concept efficiently achieved by their rivals, Barcelona.

For the young Ghanaian defender snapped up from AshantiGold after his Ghana’s 2007 Under-17 World Cup, there is hope of earning a place in the first team.

Opare, 18, has been playing with the reserve team for two seasons now but with the return of the Perez Presidency, no one knows what the future holds for such talents like Opare in his ‘spectacular project’.

But the Ghanaian defender has told the BBC’s African sports programme Fast Track that he remains supremely confident that he can get his breakthrough this season.

"If you look at the first team, yes they are buying big players but most of them are forwards", Opare said.

"They have not bought many defenders, but Fabio Cannavaro is gone and Sergio Ramos can play in the middle so there is space in defence.

"With a new team there will be a few games for players like myself to prove a point."

The attacking right-back knows he would have to do lots to make that breakthrough given the limited opportunities for youth team players at the Bernabeu but doesn’t regret making the switch to Madrid.

"I don't know really how people think sometimes. I don't know any player in this world who would reject an offer from Real Madrid," he explained.

"Although I'm young and it's a really big team, I look at myself and the potential and ability that I have as a player to be a big star and I see nothing wrong with being there.

"All I have to do is to work hard and break into the first team.

"When you hear the big names for the first time you panic a bit. The first time I was asked to train with the first team I asked questions of myself, I wondered if I was in their class.

"But once training started I felt at home and simply told myself we are all footballers."

Daniel Opare, one of the players considered for selection for Ghana’s team for the World Youth Cup to be hosted by Egypt later this year is opened the idea of a loan move to prove himself elsewhere first but remains extremely confident of pulling the white shirt at Madrid someday.

"You don't have to depend on one plan so the loan option is something I will look at," he said.

"If I think it won't help me to stay there, I will go on loan but I know I will be pulling on that Madrid jersey one day. It is what I want."

He's pacy, has an eye of creativity and would fit well now in the Madrid team. Yeah, I'm vouching for him. And it's not because he's from Ghana but because I've seen him play .

Credit: GhanaFA